Moore Collection Queen's University Belfast
Collection

Identifier

MOORE/

Description

Special collection of books etc, by, or relating to, the Irish poet, satirist, composer, and musician, Thomas Moore (1779-1852). Born in Dublin to Roman Catholic parents in 1779, Thomas Moore went on to become one of Ireland's most popular writers, regarded at the time, as Ireland's national lyricist. Remembered principally for his Irish Melodies, which appeared in numerous editions from 1807-34, he produced quite a substantial portfolio of work of poetic satire, verse, prose and biography, enjoying both financial and literary success during his own lifetime. The core of this particular collection was assembled by the Belfast collector, Andrew Gibson (fl. 1904-1927) during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It consists of many early editions of Moore's work, reflecting the various genres in which he excelled. Included can be found editions of Moore's Irish Melodies, sheet music and other works, some bound in fine and ornate bindings, while still others decorated by some of the most prominent illustrators of the 19th century. Since its acquisition in 1960 (from the P.D. Massie Estate), Queen's has continued to supplement the collection with the addition of various titles relating to Moore, his life and his writing. Modern criticisms, commentaries, musical arrangements and biographies are well represented.

Strengths

The strength of the Gibson-Massie Moore Collection lies in the completeness of its subject matter. Thomas Moore was a significant figure in the 19th century, and his work, in its various editions and formats, are well represented. The collection will be of interest to scholars of Thomas Moore and to students of music, literature and history. In addition to his musical reputation, it is notable that Moore was associated with Lord Byron and Lord John Russell. He was also responsible for biographies on Byron, Lord Edward Fitzgerald and Sheridan. Items within the collection provide comment on these, as well as providing an insight into life during the early 19th century and beyond.

Physical Characteristics

The collection currently contains approx. 966 volumes including monographs, sheet music etc, and 1 CD recording.

Languages

English;French;German

Collection Type

Collection.Library.Text.Special

Accrual

Policy: Passive   Method: Donation;Purchase;   Periodicity: Irregular

Access

The collection is available for reference only under supervised access in the Special Collections Reading Room at The McClay Library. Further information is available here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/specialcollections 

Visitor access to The McClay Library

Legal Status

Queen's University Belfast has legal ownership of this collection.

Description or Catalogue

Details of the Gibson-Massie Moore Collection can be found on the QUB on-line catalogue (QCAT) within the Special Collections sub-division. Books are identified with the prefix 'MOORE.' It is accessible on http://www.qub.ac.uk/lib

Publications Note

Minimal representation

Collector

Name

Massie, P.D.

Role

Donor

History

Resident of Belfast. No further details available.



Collector

Name

Gibson, Andrew (fl. 1904-1927)

Role

Private Collector

History

Andrew Gibson (fl. 1904-1927) was a noted collector and Governor of the Linen Hall Library. Originally from Ayreshire, he settled in Belfast eventually becoming a Governor of the Linen Hall Library, President of the Belfast Scottish Association and Fellow of the Royal Society of Antiquaries, Ireland. He was one of the organisers of the Second Belfast Harp Festival in 1903. Gibson was also a member of the Irish Folk Song Society. He was a Burns enthusiast and collected approximately 2000 volumes of Burns and Burns related material. His collection of Burns and Burnsiana was purchased by public subscription in 1901 for the Linen Hall Library.



Collector

Name

Queen's University Belfast

Role

Academic Institution

History

The Library at Queen’s was established in 1849 following the foundation of the original college in 1845. Based initially in the Great Hall, and, from 1869, in its own separate accomodation, the Library catered to the needs of all students enrolled in the college before future growth and expansion dictated otherwise. Today the Library is dispersed across a number of departmental libraries throughout Northern Ireland each providing access to what has become one of the largest collections of books, periodicals and pamphlets in the province with over one million items noted in the official library catalogue. Principal centres include the Main Library (with additional 1960s tower block) situated on the main campus site, the Medical Library at RVH, the Science Library in Chlorine Gardens (opened 1969), the Agriculture and Food Science Library at Newforge Lane (1970s), the Biomedical libraries in the City Hospital and in the Medical Biology Centre (Lisburn Rd), the Veterinary Research Library, the Seamus Heaney Library (1997) and the Campus Libraries at Armagh and Altnagelvin. Although largely adminstered as a separate unit for most of its history, the Library was recently amalgamated with the University’s Computer Services and Audio-Visual departments to form a new Information Services department in the year 2000.



Location

Name

Queen's University Belfast

Address

The McClay Library
10 College Park
Belfast

BT7 1LP

Website

http://www.qub.ac.uk/lib

Access Control

The McClay Library operates a controlled entry system.  Members are required to use their Queen’s staff, student or library card to obtain admission. 

Information for visitor access to The McClay Library for researchers not affiliated with Queen's is available from the Library website at http://www.qub.ac.uk/lib

Visitor access to Special Collections & Archives is detailed here http://www.qub.ac.uk/specialcollections

Administrator Role

Librarian

Phone

00442890976333

Email

rascal@qub.ac.uk

Owner

Role

Academic Institution

Telephone

00442890976333

Email

specialcollections@qub.ac.uk

History

Queen's University Belfast was formerly established as 'Queen's College, Belfast' by Queen Victoria in 1845 as one of a network of three Queen's Colleges in Ireland alongside Cork and Galway. It was raised to the status of a full university in 1908 with its own Charter and Statutes. When Queen's College first opened its doors in 1849, there were 20 professors and 90 matriculated students all based in the main Lanyon building off University Road, Belfast. Since then, the University has grown considerably both in reputation and stature reflecting its status as one of the oldest universities in the UK. Now catering to some 1,300 academics and 17,000 full and part-time students, the University offers courses and research opportunities in Agriculture & Food Science, Arts, Economics & Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, Science, Engineering, Education, Law and Theology based in centres within several miles of the original site, as well as a Marine Laboratory at Portaferry, a campus at Armagh City and outreach centres in Omagh and Newcastle and a nursing campus at Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry. Notable persons to have come through Queen’s doors include Seamus Heaney, a recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, Mary McAleese, former President of Ireland and senior officer at Queen's, David Trimble, a former member of teaching staff and a joint recipient of the Nobel Prize for Peace and actor Liam Neeson.