T.G.F. Paterson Manuscript Collection

This collection comprises T.G.F. Paterson's notebooks. The notebooks are concerned with pedigrees and genealogies of families connected with County Armagh, local history, dialect, archaeology, folklore and place-name studies. He published regularly in the Ulster Journal of Archaeology, County Louth Archaeological Journal, Seanchas Ardmhacha and the Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. Paterson's interest in and contributition to archaeology and local studies was recognised by E. Estyn Evans and Oliver Davies. As a result his knowledge in these areas he served on the Ancient Monuments Advisory Council, was involved with the Ulster Journal of Archaeology and a number of other societies. He was elected as a Member to the Royal Irish Academy in 1941. As well as Paterson's own notes the collection comprises correspondence from various sources and volumes from such noted genealogists as Tenison A. Groves and Philip Crossle (mainly from the early 1900s).

Strengths

The strength of this collection lies in the mass of material relating to the genealogy of families in county Armagh and the surrounding counties. There are many notes relating to wills, chancery and exchequer bills, memorials of deeds and leases from the Registry of Deeds in Dublin, marriage settlements and licence bonds (late 17th century, 18th century). There are also extracts from William Petty's "Census" of circa 1659, extracts from the 1821 census (most of which was destroyed in the 1922 Four Courts fire). Much of the information isn't referenced properly, but it is a valuable resource when used in tandem with other research materials.

Physical characteristics

300 volumes in notebook format.

Description or Catalogue

A brief inhouse computer listing of this collection exists.

Coverage

1659
Accrual
Accrual Policy
Closed
Accrual Method
Donation
Accrual Periodicity
Closed
Added by Armagh County Museum Curator | Last updated on: 08 February 2018