Royal Belfast Botanic & Horticultural Company Ltd.

The Belfast Botanic and Horticultural Society was formed in February 1827. In 1829, after an abortive attempt at laying out botanical gardens at Bradbury Place the current site was purchased on the Stranmillis Road. Monies were raised through a share issue and a committee formed to manage the gardens. In 1860 the Society was replaced by the Royal Belfast Botanic and Horticultural Company Ltd with a board of fifteen directors. Belfast Central Library holds Minute Books of the Limited Company from its inception until the purchase of the Botanic Gardens by Belfast Corporation in 1894. There are vivid descriptions of the various entertainments provided, from fetes, when the gardens were "lit by Chinese lanterns and gas devices", to balloon ascents. In addition to the Minute Books there is a List of Subscribers to the original society dating from 1824 to 1834 and also to the gardens during these two periods. The archive was presented to Belfast Public Libraries on 18th March 1897 by R. H. Vance, the Liquidator of the Company.

Accrual
Accrual Policy
Closed
Accrual Method
Donation
Accrual Periodicity
Closed
Added by Libraries NI | Last updated on: 24 May 2018