Substantial collection of archival material consisting of approx. 12,700 documents and 50 volumes relating to the Anglesey estate in Counties Louth and Down, c 1660-1858, and the political career of Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey (1768-1854), Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1828-29 and 1830-33. The collection includes comprehensive series of title deeds, leases, rentals, accounts, maps and surveys etc for the Anglesey estate, and that of their predecessors (i.e. the Bagenal and Bayly families) in Newry, Co. Down, Cooley and Omeath, Co. Louth and Galway town, dating from the late 17th century to 1858 when the estate was sold by the 2nd Marquess of Anglesey. A particularly fine assemblage of estate papers, the collection is most noteworthy for the long runs of agents’ correspondence that it contains, especially for the early 18th to mid 19th centuries. These papers deal with a range of typical managerial issues involved in the administration of the estate and associated business matters. There are also other, more general and miscellaneous papers that have been grouped together artificially which deal, for example, with the foundation of the Co. Louth Infirmary in 1770, the establishment of the Omeath National School and an abortive scheme for the construction of a railway link between Newry and Carlingford in 1845. The political papers featured in the Anglesey Papers are exclusively concerned with the 1st Marquess of Anglesey’s two tenures as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and largely consist of fairly complete, and at times duplicative, series of correspondence. Dealing primarily with matters of state and patronage, the papers provide a valuable commentary on the administration of Ireland both before and after Catholic Emancipation in 1829. Principal correspondents consist of official colleagues and associates. These include Lord Holland (1773-1840), the Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850), and Daniel O’Connell (1775-1847), in addition to the various Chief and Under Secretaries who served under Anglesey at Dublin Castle. Of the major issues covered, the most prominent include agitation for repeal of the Union, tithe reform and the implementation of the Great Reform Act of 1832 in Ireland. A relatively small collection of accounting records from Dublin Castle and the Viceregal Lodge in Phoenix Park are also to be found.
The Anglesey Papers are particularly strong for subjects relating to, and associated with, estate management and land purchase in Ireland for the period, c 1660-1858. Of note are the long runs of agents' correspondence on the adminstration of the estate. As with other estate archives, the collection is also significant for providing testimony to the social life and background of the landed gentry and the tenants that resided on their estates. This collection is also noteworthy for its comprehensive series of political correspondence during the Lord Lieutenancy of the 1st Marquess of Anglesey during the early 19th century, particularly for the period just before and after Catholic Emancipation in 1829.
The Anglesey Papers consist of approx. 12,700 documents and 50 volumes, c 1660-1858, comprising a range of title deeds, leases and other legal documents, rentals, accounts, maps, reports, surveys, petitions and correspondence.
See PRONI Calender Reference D/619 for details. Catalogue available in PRONI search room for consultation. An introduction to the collection can be found on http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/private/anglesey.htm.
Although the collection is largely closed to additions, deposits from the Anglesey Family still remains a possibility.