The Armagh Diocesan Registry Archive comprises documents relating to the Church of Ireland primacy, province and Archdiocese of Armagh, 1240, 1291 and 1360-1977. They include: archbishops' registers, 1360-1543, 1678-1719, and 1878-1943; historical compilations, 1360-1774, which include rent rolls relating to church lands, inquisitions etc; correspondence etc., 1615-1957, relating to schools and education, mainly in the archdiocese of Armagh, including Armagh Royal School and the Erasmus Smith endowment; correspondence, legal papers, accounts etc., 1713-1934, relating to various charities such as Hugh Boyd's Charity, the Vaughan Charity and Jackson's Charity; visitation returns and papers, 1617-1973; and title deeds, leases, rentals, maps and surveys relating to church lands, 1606-1910. There is also a succession list of the Archbishops of Armagh, 1348-1939.
This early archive is the most important and largest single source of original material for mediaeval Ireland.
409 volumes and c.17,655 documents occupying c.400 PRONI boxes
See PRONI reference DIO/4, T/729, T/848, T/1056, T/1066, T/1067, T/3123, MIC/2 for catalogues of the papers. The catalogues are available for consultation in PRONI's Public Search Room. See also http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/private/armagh.htm for an introduction to the collection.