With some exceptions, these papers can be described as an estate archive, documenting the history and management of the Brownlow estate from the arrival in Ireland from Nottingham of John Brownlow in 1610 to the sale of the property in 1893. The estate consisted of land in the manors of Brownlowsderry and Richmount in the Lurgan area, Co. Armagh, including Lurgan town itself and the adjacent areas of west Down and south-west Antrim, 1619-1960, and also property in Magheracloone parish, barony of Farney, Co. Monaghan, 1753-94, and in Philipstown parish, barony of Ardee, Co. Louth, 1753.
The collection includes: abstracts of tithe deeds relating to the Co. Armagh estate; title deeds (patents, marriage settlements, mortgages and miscellaneous agreements); wills and testamentary papers relating to members of the Brownlow family; lease books recording leases on the estate; leases and associated documents relating to agreements made between the Brownlow family and their tenants; papers relating to evictions from the estate; account books and rentals; documents relating to the Irish Land Commission and the buying out of the estate, 1881-1918; registers of Co. Armagh freeholders; manorial court books; papers relating to Lurgan Courthouse, Workhouse and Town Commissioners; registers and documents relating to Lurgan Free School; papers relating to other schools on the Brownlow estate; maps, plans, architectural drawings relating to the manors of Brownlow and Richmount; tithe and poor Law valuations.
Important for the history and management of the Brownlow estates over 3 centuries
c. 9,800 items, 1619-1960, comprising c.9,300 documents and 520 volumes and occupying c.300 PRONI boxes.
See PRONI reference D/1928 for catalogue of the papers. The catalogue is available for consultation in PRONI's Public Search Room. See also http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/private/brownlow.htm for an introduction to the collection.