Records of the Vaughan Charity Charter School, Tubrid, near Kesh, Co. Fermanagh, 1776-1934. Founded under the will of George Vaughan (d. 1763) of Buncrana, Co. Donegal, the Vaughan Charity Charter School first opened in November 1787 with 30 boys; girls were later admitted in 1828. The school was managed at long range by a Board consisting mainly of largely absentee ecclesiastics. There were problems with abscondment, discipline and health and, although there were temporary improvements in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the State eventually intervened and the school was closed in 1933. Comprising five outsize volumes, the surviving records include a complete register of the male pupils who attended the school throughout its history, from 1787 to 1933. It details such information as the name and age of pupil, the parish from which he or she came, the names of those who recommended the pupil to the charity and an observations column recording information such as the destination of the pupil on leaving. Those who made recommendations included the Marquis of Ely, Sir Arthur Brooke and the Bishop of Clogher and pupils were admitted from all over the north of Ireland. The archive also contains a series of Governors' Minute Books, 1776-1934, which include reports received and passed from the chaplain, schoolmaster, schoolmistress and medical officer. Two additional volumes, 1823-1934, contain the minutes of an Auditors' or Local Committee which concerned itself mainly with the extensive estate of the charity.
The collection is a useful research tool for students of education before the introduction of the National System of Education.
5 outsize volumes, 1776-1934, occupying 4 PRONI boxes.
See PRONI reference D/433 for catalogue of the papers. The catalogue is available for consultation in PRONI's Public Search Room.