Harland & Wolff Photographic Collection

The Harland & Wolff Photographic Collection comprises some 70,000 negatives covering the work of the company between 1895 and 1986, at which date, the collection was donated to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum. Coverage prior to 1895 is sparce but some prints date back to c. 1861, two years after the founding of the company. The collection contains photographs from the company's works in Southampton, London (North Woolwich), Liverpool and the Clyde (Govan, Greenock Foundary, Finneston Diesel Engine Works and Scotstoun) as well as from its principal site in Belfast. Besides photographs of the majority of ships built by the company in the period, including that of the Titanic, the collection reflects and documents all of the company's activities. Photographs depicting the building of aircraft during the Great War (1914-18), railway locomotives, and military tanks during the 2nd World War (1939-45) can be found in addition to images of civil engineering, particularly steel construction, oil pumping and the construction of electricity generating land engines. The company's plant and the activities of many of the trades practiced on the site are also well represented.


The Collection contains the world's premier collections of photographs of the Titanic and her sister ships, the Olympic and the Britannic. Other interesting vessels include the Oceanic (the world's largest ship prior to the 20th Century), HMS Belfast and the Canberra. The collection is particularly valuable to students of maritime history, transport, and industrial development etc.

Physical characteristics

Approx. 70,000 (glass and film) negatives, 1895-1986. Material dating up to the 1960s is held on glass negative, with photographs until the 1970s in Black and White only.

Description or Catalogue

Photographs to 1951 have been catalogued on to an in-house computerised database (MS Excel); Manual Card Index compiled by Harland & Wolff is also available for consultation.


Accrual Policy
Accrual Method
Accrual Periodicity
Added by Ulster Folk and Transport Museum | Last updated on: 08 February 2018