Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann

Biography/History

Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann (CCÉ) was founded in Dublin, Ireland in 1951 to promote Irish music, song, dance, and language. In January 1951, members of the Thomas Street (Dublin) Pipers' Club met in County Westmeath to form an organization to promote Irish traditional music and to plan an annual festival of Irish music, song and dance. The first Fleadh Cheoil (music festival) was held in Mullingar in May 1951, and the first officers of Cumann Ceoltóirí na hÉireann were elected on October 14, 1951 in Dublin. The following year, the organization changed its name to Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann. After five years, the annual Fleadh had grown to a major national festival featuring performances from traditional musicians, singers, and dancers from throughout Ireland. There are currently branches of Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann in every county in Ireland, sponsoring classes, concerts and cultural events in local communities. There are over 400 branches of Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann worldwide including more than 50 branches in North America. Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann's North American Province was established in Chicago in 1972.  CCÉ North America is organized into seven regional branches: Canada East, Canada West, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Northeast, Southern and Western.