Archbishop Richard Robinson (1709-1794) also known as the first Baron Rokeby of Armagh was appointed to the archbishopric of Armagh in 1765. He was one of many English Anglican clergy appointed to this position. Robinson worked continuously for the improvement of Armagh. He is credited with turning it into a handsome town. Amongst his first tasks was the improvement of the Cathedral after which he built and endowed a public library in Armagh. He established a classical school, erected a barracks, a jail and an infirmary. An obelisk erected on Knox's Hill near Armagh is also the work of the Archbishop, to commemorate his friendship with the Duke of Northumberland, his patron. Archbishop Robinson was also responsible for erecting an archepiscopal palace and the famous Armagh Observatory.
Archbishop of Armagh