Lenox-Conyngham Family of Springhill, Co. Londonderry

Biography/History

The Conyngham family from Ayrshire arrived after the Plantation and by 1641 owned properties in Derry, Armagh and Tyrone. Springhill, the family seat, was built c. 1680. The family prospered; many were eminent military men serving in a number of arenas, and held public office. Springhill was acquired by the National Trust in 1957, shortly before the death of William Lenox-Conyngham, HML for Co. Londonderry.