The Montgomerys have been in Tyrone since the middle of the seventeenth century. One renowned member of the family was Hugh de Fellenberg Montgomery (1844-1924), who, from his surviving papers, seems to have been a remarkable man. His mother was Swiss (and daughter of Philip Emmanuel de Fellenberg, an eminent educationalist) and his continental connections appear to have been a consistent influence on him, giving him a cosmopolitan outlook quite unlike the conventional character of a nineteenth-century landlord. He was educated at Christ Church College, Oxford and enjoyed a political career of sorts, involving himself in local government on behalf of his tenants in Tyrone and nationally owing to his involvement in the Liberal Unionist Association, the Irish Landowners’ Convention and Horace Plunkett’s Co-operative movement. He later went on to become a Senator in the Northern Ireland Parliament from 1922 until his death in 1924. He was married to the youngest daughter of the Rev. John Charles Maude, rector of Enniskillen and was responsible for the building of Blesingbourne House in 1874, the Montgomery Family home, which is today, at the start of the 21st Century, now a guesthouse. Montgomery’s eldest son, Major-General Hugh Maude de Fellenberg Montgomery, also entered the political life of Northern Ireland and was, among other things, founder of the Irish Association for Cultural, Economic and Social Relations in 1938.