The National Library of Ireland was established in 1877 in Leinster House (the present Irish parliament building) which then belonged to the Royal Dublin Society. The Library of the Royal Society formed the basis of the new National Library. The present main building in Kildare Street, Dublin, opened in 1890. The main aim of the Library is to collect, preserve and make accessible materials relating to Ireland and to provide an accurate record of Ireland’s output in manuscript, print and other media. The Genealogical Office, which originated in 1552 as the Office of Arms, has been a department within the National Library since 1943. Its main function is the granting of arms to civic, corporate and individual applicants.
Government department with responsibility for official records