The Salters' Company, one of the Twelve Great City Livery Companies, has its origins in the City of London of the fourteenth century. Charged with regulating trade and maintaining standards in the important mediaeval salt trade, the Salters' Company received its first royal licence from King Richard II in 1394. Then as now, salt was a vital ingredient in the preservation of food, indeed it was the only way of preserving meat over long winter months. Members of the Company formerly dealt not only in salt but were also 'Dry Salters' and dealt in flax, hemp, logwood, cochineal, potashes and chemical preparations. In 1918 the Salters' Company determined to re-establish its connection with the modern equivalent of its ancient trade by founding the Salters' Institute of Industrial Chemistry, initially to assist young chemistry students returning from the war to complete their studies. It is now the flagship of the Company's charitable activities. Today the Salters' Institute plays a major role in the support of chemistry teaching, the encouragement of young people to pursue careers in the UK chemical and allied industries, and the promotion of chemical education including the whole area of curriculum development. Whilst the Salters' Institute is the principal focus for the Company's charitable work, the Company also administers a number of other small charities including Almshouses at Watford and Maidenhead. In 1994 the Company initiated the Salters' City Foyer Project for the homeless, located in Smithfield in conjunction with Soho Housing Association and Centrepoint. The Salters' Company is located at 4 Fore Street, London, EC2Y 5DE.\n\nSource: <a href="http://www.salters.co.uk/" target="new_window">http://www.salters.co.uk/</a>.