Tyrone County Library was founded in 1928. The Western Education & Library Board assumed responsibility for it in 1973 and it is now known as Omagh Public Library. The Library Service in the Western Board's area operates via 16 branch libraries, 9 public and three specialist mobile libraries. The library also services 106 centres, including hospitals, community homes, as well as 270 schools. All service points offer a wide range of book and non-book materials, to suit all tastes, and for all ages of readers, for adults and children alike. Library staff have extensive links with the wider community.