Mayo was one of the earliest counties to exercise the power conferred by the Local Government Act 1925 to adopt a county library scheme. The first County Librarian, Ms Bridget Redmond was appointed in November 1925 on a three year contract to establish the new Mayo County Library. Mayo benefited from funding provided by a trust established by the late Andrew Carnegie to promote the public library cause in both Britain and Ireland. The library was formally established as a permanent agency of Mayo County Council in 1928. The county had only one dedicated base, in Castlebar and relied on deposit centres, often operated by local primary teachers to bring the library to an overwhelmingly rural county. A purpose built Castlebar Branch and Headquarters were finally provided in 1942 and in 1972 a School Library service commenced. The first purpose built branch libraries in Ballina (1972) and Westport (1976) gave the service a regional presence. New premises were provided for the public in Castlebar (1990) and Ballina (2006) whilst a nework of branch libraries has been established throughout the County, from Belmullet to Charlestown.