UCC’s Library collections of books and manuscripts have been built up since the opening of the University in 1849. The Boole Library opened in September 1983, named after George Boole (1815-1864) who was the first Professor of Mathematics at Queen's College, Cork (now UCC) (1849-1854). An extension to the main building was officially opened in July 2007. UCC Library is the University’s teaching, learning and research information resource for students and staff. It also acts as a regional information service and as a repository of the cultural and historical heritage of the Munster region.