Armagh County Museum

Role
National Museum
Email address
acm.um@nics.gov.uk
Biography/History

Armagh County Museum is situated on the Mall, in the centre of Armagh city. Opened in 1937 by Armagh County Council it is the oldest County Museum in Ireland. The collections of the museum are based on specimens gathered by the Armagh Natural History and Philosophical Society during the 19th century (1839). The exhibitions reveal the rich and varied history of the County, ranging from prehistoric artefacts to more recent material. As well as permanent displays of military coustumes, wedding dresses, ceramics, natural history specimens, railway material and household items, special temporary exhibitions are held throughout the year. There is an extensive reference library and photographic and map collections. The reference library was assembled initially by the first curator T. G. F. Paterson. The museum is now a branch of Ulster Museum in Belfast.