UCD is a constituent body of the NUI. The origins of UCD date back to the formation of the Catholic University Of Ireland by Cardinal John Henry Newman in 1854. The Catholic University later became known as UCD and was run under the umbrella of the Royal University of Ireland and which later became the National University of Ireland. The Royal College of Science and the Albert National Training College later became incorporated into UCD. UCD Library holds more that 1.5 million volumes of which 25,000 are in Special Collections.