The Cole family has been in the Enniskillen area since William Cole arrived in Ireland from Devon in 1601. He was one of the principal promotors of the Plantation in Co. Fermanagh. The family flourished, built the town of Enniskillen and, over the years, the house at Florence Court. The Coles served as MPs, and in the military. Florence Court was given to the National Trust in 1954 and Lord and Lady Enniskillen continued to live there until 1973 when they left for Scotland. In 1974 Lord Enniskillen transferred almost all the Florence Court land to the Dept of Agriculture for a forest park. Andrew Cole, 7th Earl of Enniskillen, lives in Kenya at the start of the 21st century.