The Hart family have been in the Donegal/Londonderry area since Capt. Henry Hart was granted Culmore near Londonderry in 1607. Later generations of the family from the 19th century onwards were engaged in careers in the military and politics, including, in particular, General George Vaughan Hart of Kilderry, near Muff, Co. Donegal (d. 1832) who saw service in America, the West Indies, and India (three times) where at one stage he was paymaster of troops at a time of significant adjustment between the Crown and the East India Company, finally holding successive commands in the Northern District of Ireland, and was MP for Co. Donegal, 1812-32. This George Hart was succeeded by his fourth son, George Vaughan Hart Junior (d. 1895), who inherited the family property in 1850. Lands subsequently passed to Colonel John George Vaughan Hart (1879-1946), a grandson of George Vaughan Hart Junior, in 1919. He served in the army in West Africa and was responsible for selling the family estate at Kilderry in 1944 after a disagreement with the Irish government.